It is more of a cliché now, but many times we need to restate the obvious, for obvious reasons. Human hair is made up of keratin which is a protein vital for strong and healthy hair. However recent studies suggest keratin treatments can have adverse effects on people, and now more people are questioning keratin treatment salons about the benefits and side effects of the treatment.
Today we shall try to answer your questions in this context and see if keratin treatments are specifically good for people with thin hair.
What Is Keratin?
Let us break this down to the most fundamental component and talk about keratin. Keratin is a fibrous protein that is an essential component of your nails and hair. Its main purpose is to protect the outer skin cells and tissues from damage. This is also the ingredient that adds shine and structure to your hair.
What Does Keratin Treatment Do For Your Hair?
Okay, we have discussed naturally occurring keratin and described its function for your body. Now let us dive into chemical keratin treatments. They use a solution with keratin protein and formaldehyde, which under high heat is used to straighten hair and lock the sleek shine in them. This treatment is known for its effectiveness for people who have curly or frizzy hair.
For this treatment, the stylist mixes the keratin with a formaldehyde solution and applies it to the hair. Hair is then blow-dried and straightened with a ceramic flat iron to lock the hair in position. Hair can then be styled as per the client’s requirements.
Benefits Of Keratin Hair Treatment
Keratin hair treatments have several benefits. We shall go through a few of them here.
- Keratin treatments smoothen your hair, especially if your strands are unmanageable and curly. This treatment will give you a polished look that will be naturally beautiful.
- Another benefit of chemical keratin treatments is they give your hair shine and luster. If you have envied TV and movie stars for their long lustrous hair that evokes life, do not fret. All these celebrities head for special keratin treatments that are responsible for their long lustrous locks.
- Keratin treatments fill the gaps between hair shafts, which make them appear thicker and fuller. Women, who complain of dry split hair, can go for these treatments. It not only fills the gaps with protein but also makes each strand thicker and healthier.
Owing to these benefits, women across the globe are willing to spend heavily on keratin treatments. They want to achieve the much-coveted looks of glamorous models and other celebrities.
But is this treatment worth the hype? Are there any side effects? Is this treatment suitable for people with thin hair? Nobody will shed light on these aspects because the benefits outweigh the side effects. We shall still cover some of them here.
Side Effects Of Keratin Hair Straightening Treatment
The price people pay for this chemical treatment is quite heavy. There are many potential side effects, especially due to using formaldehyde. More and more doctors across the world are suggesting a ban on this chemical; however, its use is still going strong.
- Formaldehyde is a colorless and odorless gas but if its usage is prolonged, it increases the chance of either acquiring cancer or aggravating it if you have it already. Hence it is harmful to the hairstylist who is applying the solution and the person who is undergoing the treatment.
- Keratin treatments also cause allergies, rashes, coughing, and sneezing. These conditions can get more complicated if the room is not properly ventilated.
- Keratin treatments are notorious for causing immense hair breakage. This is because keratin treatments use high heat to make hair strands look beautiful, which results in hair breakage and damage.
Is Keratin Treatment Good For Thin Hair?
If you are planning for a keratin hair straightening treatment, do not forget that it is designed for thick and coarse hair. It is beneficial for unmanageable strands but will do almost nothing for thin hair. Since hair is already fragile and thin, it will not withstand the strong formaldehyde solution and high heat. The result will ultimately be more hair damage and breakage. Talk to the expert at Brazilian keratin salon Rockville about your hair type before getting any chemical straightening treatment.