The thought of a fireplace gives a great coziness and warmth in your homes but the hassle of chimney cleaning outweighs the benefits of a fireplace. However, if you are not comfortable with the idea of a traditional fireplace and not deal with the talks of the chimney repair companies then you can surely consider the below alternatives.
Know about Alternatives Of Wood Burning Fireplace
- Gas Fireplace
A gas fireplace is a fixed fireplace option. You will need to get it professionally installed and get pipes laid for fuel. The gas fireplace has a direct vent system and is installed inside a glass. The direct vent opens outside your house so the heat will stay inside your house and the glass covering will protect the pollutants from entering your homes. Fake logs are used in this fireplace but the flames and fire are real but propelled by gas, hence no wood crackling noise and smoke smell. The fake logs do not cause the buildup of creosote inside the chimney thus you will not have to go through the problem of chimney cleaning. The gas fireplace is not electrically run so can also be used in times of power outages.
- Alcohol-Gel Fireplace
This is an extremely portable and affordable option for the traditional fireplace. The fire is fueled by an alcohol gel which can be carried along with the whole unit. Normally one pack of this alcohol gel burns up to 3 hours after which it should be replaced. This fireplace does not require a vent. This is completely eco-friendly and alcohol creates a real fire so you will hear the burning and crackling of the wood minus the smoke and pollutants. This fireplace can heat and warm your entire house more efficiently than the traditional fireplace. The best part is that you have a choice between normal and scented fuels and scented fuels give a delicious smell in your homes.
- Electric Fireplace
One major disadvantage of a traditional fireplace is that it is fixed and you will have to get it separately constructed in each room. Plus, the buildup of creosote and leaks require the constant calling of chimney repair companies and chimney cleaning. This is electrically run and you can carry it in every other room. You can operate it by simply pressing a button and get the feel and warmth of a traditional fireplace. You can even run it the whole year and with the option of turning the heat off.
Things Never to Burn in Your Fireplace
If you only have the option of a traditional fireplace, then you have to take care when starting a fire. Sometimes you are really propelled to throw in some stuff when you are sitting in front of the warm fire. But some things are extremely harmful and you should completely avoid them throwing in the fire.
- Wet wood should not be put in the fire as it causes a lot of smoke and buildup of creosote. Always use dry wood for starting a fire.
- Colored paper such as magazines, cereal boxes or wrapping paper should not be put in the fire for kindling purposes as it releases toxic chemical and gases when burnt.
- Painted or treated wood should also not be put to start a fire as it also releases harmful gases in the atmosphere which are not good for health.
- Plastic is a complete no for the fireplace whether it is any type of household plastic or bottles or plastic bags. Plastic releases toxic gases in the atmosphere which are harmful to the environment as well as for your health.
- Although you would really be tempted to cut up the Christmas tree logs into the fireplace because the wood of the Christmas tree contains a high level of resin which can lead to a chimney fire.
- All the manufactured wood such as cardboard, chipboard, plywood or particle board should not be put in the fire as they release carcinogens when burned.
- Fire accelerators are a strict no. these include kerosene gas, petroleum, and gasoline or grill starter liquid because they can cause an immense flare of fire in the chimney which can come in your homes as well and then you will need to call the chimney repair companies ellicott city md.