Permanent hair straightening helps you to remove the curls permanently and straightens your hair using chemical treatments. It helps you to avoid the use of a styler daily. There is several methods followed hair straightening salons to do hair straightening. The following two steps are unavoidable in this process.
- Hair salons use sodium based products to break the keratin structure. This makes the hair more manageable.
- The fibers in one’s hair are set in the desired shape with the use of an oxidant.
Types of hair straightening
The process of permanent hair straightening can be classified into different categories based on the technique used in the process. They produce silky straight hair using different ways. They are:
- Japanese straightening
- Keratin straightening
- Hair re-bonding
- Chemical straightening
What is Keratin
Keratin refers to the protein contained in our hair. As the protein level decreases due to malnutrition hair becomes tangled and fizzy. Treatment provides an additional coating of keratin on the shaft of the hair and it makes the hair straight. Though most of the hair straightening techniques cam damage your hair, this method is not like that. This method takes about two hours for completing the entire process. No strong chemicals are used in this process to open/close the hair cuticle in the hair straightening process.
Though people say that this is a permanent solution, in fact, it lasts only for about six months. Repeated usage of the procedure has been found to be useful in producing better results.
Do it yourself hair straightening tips
Hair straightening is not a difficult task if you pay great attention. Carelessness can burn your skin and hair. Easy steps for carrying out hair straightening at home are given below.
Wash your hair cleanly and allow it to dry with the help of a blower. If you use blower little saving in time can be obtained.
Brush your hair thoroughly so that all the tangles are removed. Thorough combing before applying the iron will make the heat distribution even. If there are some tangles left at the time of straightening process the crimps and knots will be left after the process.
- Spray heat protectant onto your head. Comb the hair quickly to distribute the heat protectant.
- Blow drying will can reduce the time needed for completing the process. Do not try straightening when the hair is wet as it can lead burning of the hair.
- Let your iron get warmer. After plugging in the iron, wait for five minutes. Temperature setting can be medium for hair with average thickness can be 300-370° and for thick hair it can be 400-450° and for thick hair it can be 400-450.
- People with thin hair can divide it into 2-4 sections and people with thick hair will have to go for more sections. Keep every section separated from the lowest section. Start your work with the lowest lock of hair. Hold one lock at a time. Tie the hair in half ponytail by sectioning off the top section. You should have full access of the lower portions of the hair.
- Apply iron on the lower part of the lock in your arm and straighten it preferably in one pass.
- Place flat iron on hair 1-3 inches above. Close the heated sides with hair inside them.
- Run the iron through the length of the lock applying same pressure throughout. You may see steam coming form hair. It is normal.
- If the lock of hair is not fully straightened you can go for a second time. If it is still not straightened go for smaller locks of hair. Multiple passes has to be avoided. This can be achieved if you go to good hair salons in rockville and ask them to select small locks of hair at a time.
- Rub the hair with a drop of oil or spray some hairspray over the lose strands or flyaway strands.